How to Remove Your Mercruiser Alpha One Sterndrive
Read your owners manual.Give some thought as to what you're going to do once you have the drive removed. Rather than lay it down, a good suggestion is to prepare a place for it, especially if it is to remain off the boat for the layup season. Two 2 by 4,s by about 30 inches (76.2 cm) long etc. extending about 15 inches (38.1 cm) and clamped or otherwise secured to a good heavy table works really well. The drive can be placed with the horizontal fin that is above the prop sitting on the 2 by 4's. This places the drive in a normal upright position, good for servicing or whatever.
Trim the drive up so you can locate and disconnect the speedometer hose at the plastic fitting.
Trim the drive all the way down.
Place the shifter into forward gear (standard rotation drives)(reverse for LH drive)
Turn off your battery switch or disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery.
Remove the propeller.
Remove the trim cylinder plastic end caps if equipped.
Remove both trim cylinders.Alpha One units use locknuts and Alpha Gen II units use clips. You can leave the hydraulic hoses attached.
Let the trim cylinders hang out of the way or better yet,tie them up to a transom eye, etc.to avoid stressing and damaging the hoses.
Have a friend assist from this point because the drive is heavy and you will need help supporting the unit once it comes loose from the bell housing.
Use a 5/8 socket on a long extension and remove all six lock nuts.
Gently lift and drop the tail of the drive a little to help break the drive free from the bell housing gasket.
The drive should slide back and off the boat.
USE CARE!The drive is heavy and will want to fall once it's loose. Have your friend assist with the weight (about 95 pounds).
Once the drive is removed you can inspect the gimbal bearing, u-joint bellows, shift cable, u-joints and engine alignment.
Installation is the opposite of removal but you need to make sure to install a new gasket, o-rings and grease.
QuestionOn my 1981 Mercruiser 140, I removed the stern drive and aligned the motor after replacing the front engine support, now I can not get the last one inch of the stern drive in place - what should I try next?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerThere is a tool the mechanics use that is machined round to fit in from the back, and goes in the hole that the shaft goes in from the stern drive. It's nearly impossible to line them up without one.Thanks!
Ask a Question
200 characters left
Include your email address to get a message when this question is answered.
- Have some rags handy as the u-joint is usually a greasy mess.
- Change your drive lube frequently and use the correct lube.
- Standard rotation drives (RH prop rotation) must have the shifter in forward gear to remove and install the drive.
- Inspection of the bellows should reveal dry clean u-joint bellows. If you see oil or water the u-joint bellows will have to be serviced before the drive is reinstalled.
- Need more help? Stern drives.Com offers free online assistance.
- Use two people to carry the drive. It's heavy!
- Do not confuse engine rotation with prop rotation. They are not the same thing.
- Counter-Rotation drives (left hand prop rotation) must have the shifter placed into reverse to remove and install the drive.
- Always use new installation gaskets and o-rings when reassembling.
- Inspect the gimbal bearing after the drive is removed. reach in and turn the center race. It must feel smooth and easy to turn.
- The drive must be removed to remove or install your engine.
- The drive has to be removed to check your engine alignment.
- When removing twin engine drives make sure to label PORT and STARBOARD and install on the correct original sides. If you accidentally install the drives on the wrong sides extreme damage will occur to the drives.
- Save all your parts in a box or bucket.
- Drives get stolen! Store your drive in a secure location. Buy a Drive Lock to lock the drive onto the boat after it's installed.
- Never store a drive if it has water in the drive lube.
Video: MerCruiser Outdrive Removal and installation tips.
5 Lightweight Tailoring Options For Spring 2015
How to Know when Your Hermit Crab Is Dead
9 Of The Best Fitness Holidays (That Do Actually Work)
How to Use OneDrive on iOS
Outlander Season 3 Episode 8: All Hell Breaks Loose at Lallybroch
The Diary: DVF, Hayden-Harnett More
27 Breathtaking Watercolor Flower Tattoos
Can Meditation Cure Stress and Anxiety
When and How to Talk About Depression
12 Easy Outfit Ideas for Your Most Stylish Fall Ever
Citrus, Turkey, and Spinach Salad
This is what it feels like to ghost a friend
8 Soothingly Healthy Reasons to Meditate
Fashionable Spring dresses 2015 – 19 trends
Date: 04.12.2018, 18:29 / Views: 52554