How to Get Rid of Neck Fat
Neck fat, sometimes referred to as a "turkey neck," lies just beneath the skin of the neck. It can be a pesky spot to tone up. The best way to get rid of neck fat is by combining general weight loss practices with exercise to support your weight loss. Since it's impossible to spot treat (toning one specific area or losing weight in one specific area),general weight loss and exercise are the most helpful measures to reduce the fat around your neck.Unfortunately it isn't something you can get rid of overnight. However, sticking to a healthy eating pattern and exercise routine can help you minimize the look of excess fat or skin around your neck.
Making Dietary Changes
Decrease your daily calorie intakeDecrease your daily calorie intake.No matter where you want to lose weight, you'll need to decrease your overall weight. Decreasing your total daily calories will help you do that.
- Decrease your total daily caloric intake by about 500 calories daily. This will generally result in about 1 pound of weight loss per week.
- Cutting out too many calories may result in slower weight loss and nutrition deficiencies since you're not able to eat the recommended amount of essential nutrients you need daily.
- It's helpful to use a food journal or journaling app to help you count how many calories you currently eat daily. Then subtract 500 calories to find a total to shoot for daily to help you lose weight.
Eat a lot of fruits and vegetablesEat a lot of fruits and vegetables.Both fruits and vegetables are very low calorie and very high in fiber, vitamins and minerals. Making half your meals and snacks a fruit or vegetable can easily help you cut down on overall calorie intake.
- It's typically recommended to consume about 5 to 9 servings of fruits and vegetables each day.
- A serving of fruit is about 1/2 cup chopped or 1 small piece.A serving of vegetables is 1 cup cooked veggies, or 2 cups of salad.
Switch to healthier carbohydratesSwitch to healthier carbohydrates.Whole grains (grains that contain the bran, germ and endosperm) contain more fiber and other essential nutrients than refined grains. When you choose to eat a grain-based food, choose 100% whole grain.
- Choose whole grain foods like: 100% whole wheat pasta, 100% whole wheat bread, brown rice, whole grain oats, quinoa or barley.
- Refined carbohydrates (foods made with white flour or overly processed) offer very little in the way of nutritional benefits.
- Fiber also slows the digestive process, making you feel full for a longer period of time and giving your body a longer period of time to absorb nutrients.
Eat lean proteinEat lean protein.Lean protein is essential to all diets, but even more important for a weight loss diet. The amount of protein you need depends on a number of factors, including your activity level and weight.
- Lean protein has been shown to keep you feeling satisfied longer compared to other nutrients like carbohydrates.
- Include a 3 – 4 oz serving of protein with 2 of your meals or snacks. This serving size is similar to the size of an adult palm or a deck of cards.
- Foods to try include: low-fat dairy, seafood, lean beef, poultry, eggs, legumes and tofu.
Stay hydratedStay hydrated.Water is essential in keeping your bodily functions running properly.Moreover, hydrated skin is far less likely to sag or appear loose.
- Aim to consume least eight 8-oz glasses (about 2 liters) of hydrating fluids daily. Some people may need up to 13 glasses (3 liters) daily. This will depend on your weight, gender and activity level.
- Water also helps control your appetite. Thirst and dehydration can feel and seem like hunger, which could trigger you to eat when all you really need is a glass of water.
- Opt for water and unsweetened beverages over sugary drinks like juice, sweetened coffee drinks, and soda. Sweetened drinks are high in empty calories.
Incorporating Physical Activity
Perform cardiovascular exercisesPerform cardiovascular exercises.Aerobic or cardio exercise will help burn calories and support your weight loss.
- The Center for Disease Control (CDC) recommends that adults perform up to 300 minutes of moderate-intensity cardio each week, or up to 60 minutes per day 5 days of the week.
- Try a variety of exercises like: walking, jogging/running, biking, using the elliptical, swimming or dancing.
- In addition to helping support weight loss or a healthy weight, cardiovascular activities have also been shown to help manage diabetes, blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
Do 2 days of strength trainingDo 2 days of strength training.In addition to cardiovascular exercise, you should also include a few days of strength or resistance training.
- The CDC recommends 2 days of strength training for at least 20 minutes a session. It's also recommended to do a variety of exercises so that you will work each major muscle group (legs, chest, core, arms, etc).
- There are a variety of activities that can count as strength training including: lifting free weights, using weight machines, yoga and pilates.
Avoid neck toning exercisesAvoid neck toning exercises.There are a variety of exercises that have been promoted to help get rid of neck fat; however, most have the opposite effect.
- Although you might think that working or strengthening the muscles around your neck could help get rid of fat, these exercises may only bulk up your neck muscles. Bulky muscles will make your neck look thicker, not smaller.
- In general, when you lose weight, you will notice a decrease in the amount of fat that you carry around your neck.
Considering Skin Care Products
Always wear sunscreenAlways wear sunscreen.In addition to diet and exercise, wearing regular sunscreen can help slow the look of wrinkled, sagging, aged skin.
- If you have sun damaged skin that is wrinkled and looks more aged, this can worsen the look of the excess fat stored around your neck.
- It's recommended to wear a broad-spectrum sunscreen with 30 SPF year-round for both men and women. You may need higher SPF if you're in direct sunlight for longer periods of time. Reapply every two hours and wear a broad-rimmed hat for extra coverage.
Use retinol creamsUse retinol creams.There are a variety of retinoid-based wrinkle creams available over-the-counter and also by prescription. Some of these creams will help build collagen and smooth wrinkles.
- Used in combination with sunscreen, moisturizers, diet and exercise, these creams can help reduce the look of sagging, wrinkled neck skin.
- Procedures and creams used in a dermatology office are considered the best or gold standard and generally receive the best results.
Consider surgical treatmentConsider surgical treatment.If you've tried diet, exercise and skin creams, you may want to consider a more drastic measure to remove excess fat or skin around your neck.
- There are a variety of treatment options available including: liposuction, botox, laser treatments and neck lifts.
- Make a consultation with a dermatologist to get an idea of what would be best for your body and budget (as some of these treatments can be costly).
QuestionHow do I get rid of my neck fat?
Registered DietitianRegistered DietitianExpert AnswerThis article is for you! Overall weight loss and exercise, along with taking good care of your skin will help with your issue.Thanks!
QuestionWhat is the best food to eat when I'm trying to lose weight?
Registered DietitianRegistered DietitianExpert AnswerThere is no one food that will help you lose weight. If you can reduce calories by 500 per day and include 150 minutes of physical activity per week, you will lose weight.Thanks!
QuestionIs there more information on neck fat?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerMany people say to eat less and exercise more, however, that does not give you long-lasting results. Eat healthy foods but enough to sustain your energy (don't restrict yourself to an extremely strict diet), and exercise consistently, doing active things you enjoy as much as possible.Thanks!
QuestionIf neck exercises make your neck muscles thicker, does the fat not go away?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerThe fat will turn into muscle, but it will make it look thicker. I recommend not doing any neck exercise routines if you are wanting a thinner neck.Thanks!
QuestionHow do I get rid of neck fat if it's still fat when eating healthy and exercising?Error SansCommunity AnswerSurgery can get rid of the fat, but if you don't want sugery just keep exercising and eating healthy. You may get results in the future. Even if you don't get results of weight loss, it's still definitely healthier for you to eat healthy and exercise.Thanks!
QuestionHow do you remove neck fat quickly?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerIt's a very slow process. Try eating healthy, do exercises as shown in the article, and STAY MOTIVATED.Thanks!
QuestionHow do I get rid of neck fat when I'm a kid?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerThough it’s not recommended to be focusing on your weight and calorie intake as a child, there are various ways to lose it. Cut back on or completely stop drinking soda and eating junk food. Replace these with healthier alternatives such as fruits, vegetables, and lean meat. Make sure you are getting lots of exercise daily.Thanks!
QuestionHow can I eat fattening food, but still lose weight?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerIf you want to eat fattening food, but still lose weight, the only option would be to eat said food in controlled moderation and never let it surpass the 20:80 ratio, with 20 being the fattening foods and 80 being healthy foods. Also, try to get at least a little bit of exercise every day. You won't lose a ton of weight immediately, but you should see a difference over time.Thanks!
What are some neck exercises I can do to firm up my neck?
How do I get rid of my double chin faster?
I am skinny and have a fat neck, what can I do?
Can neck fat be removed surgically?
You have nice content but if you need +6+more content than you can visit ?
- Always talk to your doctor prior to starting any diet or exercise program. They will be able to tell you if weight loss or exercise is safe and appropriate for you.
- Getting rid of or reducing the fat or loose skin around your neck can be very tricky. It will most likely take a combination of diet, exercise and proper skin care.
Sources and Citations
In other languages:
Español: , Italiano: , Português: , 中文: , Deutsch: , Русский: , Français: , Nederlands: , Bahasa Indonesia: , Čeština: , Tiếng Việt: , हिन्दी: , ไทย: , العربية: , 한국어:
Video: Physio Neck Exercises Stretch & Relieve Routine
Craft How-to: Snow White
This UFC Fighter Is Getting Real About Why She Embraces Her Scars And Bruises
How to Avoid Nighttime Stains During Your Period
Are Virtual Reality Workouts The Future Of Fitness
Knees, Chest, and Chin Pose—Ashtanga Namaskara
How to Make Goat Cheese
How to Impress Your Middle School Teachers
50 Simple Cross Tattoos For Men – Religious Ink Design Ideas
At Everlane, with no risk comes no reward
Weight Watchers ActiveLink Activity Monitor Review
Kendall Jenner Joins the Victoria’s Secret Squad, While Rihanna Backs Out
Brompton Quarter Brasserie
Refining Your Diet With the Glycemic Index