How to Dress Like a Tourist
Dressing like a tourist is easy! A bright Hawaiian shirt is a classic look, but neon prints and souvenir t-shirts are also great shirt options. For bottoms, definitely go with khaki shorts or cargo shorts. Slip into a pair of white crew socks and strap your sandals over them to create an iconic tourist vibe. Don’t forget accessories like fanny packs, leis, straw hats, and multiple cameras to tie your look together!
Choosing a Top
Slip on a bright Hawaiian shirt.A short-sleeved button up featuring a loud floral print is the ultimate tourist look! These shirts are typically worn when vacationing in tropical places, but you’ll likely exude a tourist vibe no matter where you wear it. The brighter the floral pattern, the better.
- For example, try a shirt with a bright red and purple floral print.
- If you can find something with neon colors, go with that!
Try a tank top or shirt that promotes a popular vacation spot instead.A brightly colored tank top with “Hawaii” emblazoned across the front will definitely alert everyone that you’re a tourist – especially if you’re in Hawaii! Any souvenir T-shirt with the name of a big city written across the front will do the trick for this tourist look.
- You could also go with something that promotes a popular company that caters to tourists, like Señor Frog’s or Hard Rock Café.
Wear a T-shirt that advertises your high school or college sports team.Nothing says “tourist” more than a shirt that announces to everyone that you’re from somewhere else! Any high school related T-shirt, especially for sports teams and extracurricular activities, is a great choice.
- Bonus points if the name of your hometown is written right on the shirt!
Opt for any shirt with a vibrant print.Floral prints are classic, but bright plaids or animal prints are also popular with tourists. Anything eye-catching and slightly awkward works perfectly!
- Try an over-sized plaid button-up with short sleeves in the brightest colors you can find.
- A neon tie-dye top is also a great choice.
Wear a swim suit top as outerwear to a costume party.If you’re feeling daring and don’t mind showing a little skin, wearing a bikini top will definitely create the impression that you’re on a tropical vacation. A 1-piece swim suit will also work! Go with a suit in a bright color or floral print.
- Wrap a sarong around your waist and slip into a pair of flip-flops to complete your outfit.
Wear khaki shorts for a classic take on the look.Khaki shorts are a signature tourist choice! Don’t choose a nice pair of tasteful khakis, though. To really nail the tourist vibe, it’s best if your khaki shorts are awkward in some way. Go with a pair that is too long or too short, or try a pair that is noticeably tight or super baggy.
- Pair your khaki shorts with an oversized Hawaiian shirt for an iconic tourist look.
Put on a pair of high-waisted “mom-style” bottoms instead.Jeans and khakis both work well for this, as long as they’re high-waisted. Don’t forget to tuck in your shirt, of course! Cinch your waist with a brightly colored belt to further emphasize the look.
- Tuck a pink tank top with “Hawaii” scrawled on the front into a pair of mom-style, knee-length khaki shorts and you’re all set!
Wear cargo pants if you want to include lots of accessories.Tourists love cargo pants because they can load the little pockets down with everything they need while they’re sight-seeing. Grab a pair of cargo pants or cargo shorts and stuff your pockets with items like folded maps, sunglasses, sunblock, chapstick, and your trusty disposable camera.
- You can go with any color, but khaki or tan cargos would be very authentic.
Wrap a colorful sarong around your waist for a tropical vacation vibe.Floral prints and neon colors are perfect choices. Knot the sarong at your hip and pair it with a souvenir tank top or your swim suit top. Slip into sandals or flip-flops and you're good to go!
Strap on a fanny pack.No tourist outfit is complete without a fanny pack around your waist. Be sure to get one that’s neon pink or yellow to make it as visible as possible. Load your fanny pack down with classic tourist accessories like sunblock and a disposable camera for additional realism.
- Strap on a second fanny pack for extra oomph.
- If you can’t get your hands on a fanny pack, an overstuffed backpack will also do the trick.
Wear white crew socks with sandals or loafers.To really amplify things, pair the socks and sandals with your khaki shorts. If you don’t have sandals or loafers, white tennis shoes also work well. Make sure you pull those crew socks all the way up to your knees!
Dangle an oversized camera from a strap around your neck.Better yet, strap on 2 of them, or pop your second camera onto the end of a selfie stick. The more cameras, the better! For good measure, carry a disposable one in one of your cargo pockets or fanny pack, too.
- Strap on an old-school camcorder for a retro tourist vibe.
- Keep one of your cameras in your hands at all times. Photograph everything excessively, of course!
Top off your outfit with a huge straw or safari hat.Go with something oversized and silly. If you can’t get your hands on a straw or safari hat, try a faded baseball cap instead. Preferably a neon cap made of shiny nylon! However, any hat with a sun shield or wide brim will get the point across.
Layer on several leis.Definitely go with bright colored leis, and don’t limit yourself to just 1! Put on 2 or 3 of them. You can usually buy plastic leis at craft stores, costume shops, or online. Opt for colors that clash with your outfit to really stand out!
QuestionI don't have any Hawaiian stuff, how do I dress like a tacky tourist?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYou can wear some accessories like sun glasses, scarves, and a satchel. If you have any patterned button down shirts, wear that instead of a Hawaiian shirt. Pair it with khakis or tan shorts for the classic look.Thanks!
- Try a floral sundress or jumpsuit to create a slightly different look.
- Wear a pair of binoculars around your neck for an added dimension.
- Wear a pair of oversized sunglasses to complete your outfit.
- Smear zinc-based sunblock on your nose as an extra detail.
Video: TACKY TOURIST DAY
The couple also managed to sample some of Italys best food, cooked by world-renowned Italian chef Massimo Bottura at an event hosted by John Phillips
Perfect Your Old School Letter Writing With Derek Blasberg’s Expert Advice
Pumpkin Pie Kit Kats Exist and Heres Where to Find Them
Need A Bit More Help
6 Signs Youre Headed For A Nervous Breakdown
Use Leftover Nail Polish to Make the Prettiest DIY Gifts This Christmas
High Intensity Aerobic Intervals (HIIT) Workout
Top 50 Best Rustic Ceiling Ideas – Vintage Interior Designs
Kylie Jenner Releases Makeup Brushes in Her Kylie Cosmetics HolidayCollection
Eating Disorder Recovery: Amy Clovers Road to Acceptance
Umbra Sticks Wall-Mount Rack
Get on your bike for the Cycle Show 2009